Welcome to Evol PC Gaming!

Welcome to Evol PC Gaming and home of Advanced Simulation Products.  For whichever you are here for, you will need an account to see and post on the forums or to make your purchase.  If you are here to purchase a A.S.P. product, please visit the store here.

If you are here for our State of Emergency mod for GTA V using FiveM, please visit this page for everything you need to know about the mod.  Any information or questions you may have can probably be found in the forums or using the search function in the upper right.  

If you have any questions about SoE, please use the help section of the forums, but search for your answer first.  Thank you and welcome to EPCG! 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PeriodPuddle

HELP ME UPGRADE MY PC!

I need suggestions for a decent upgrade that isn't going to cost the world but still provide a decent boost.

I am only wanting to upgrade CPU, MOBO & RAM.

Currently have:
I7 2600k, 16GB DDR3.
Mobo is some MSi thing, not really important what this can and can't do tbh as long as it fits in my med/large case.

I also have a massive Noctua cooler, similar to the NH-D15/14, not at home at the moment so can't be exact.
Obviously this fits the LGA- 1155 socket? (Is this the correct socket for 17 2600k?)

I'm more of an AMD build person and this was my first Intel build back in the day so i'm a little rusty.

Obviously I want to go DDR4 RAM, but having trouble with CPU and MOBO.  

Any help or discussion would be fantastic. Chur

Unless you want an expensive Xeon. The  I7-3770k is the highest performance non-Xeon chip for the LGA-1155 which clocks a price around $350 (Your I7-2770 holds pretty high to the top for that socket) IF we want to keep with the socket.( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K66680120&cm_re=i7-3770-_-19-116-957-_-Product)

The Ryzen 7 1800x Is one greatest for budget chips that would be an upgrade (About $400). (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113430&cm_re=ryzen_7_1800x-_-19-113-430-_-Product)

On the Intel side, We have I7-7800x (379.99) which is nearly par with the Ryzen but at a higher TDP & lower physical core count.   https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117793&cm_re=i7-7800x-_-19-117-793-_-Product

(Comparisons here:https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2966&cmp[]=3037&cmp[]=2)

(I skipped the board for the I7-3770k)

If you pick the Ryzen 7 1800x, This mobo is cheap, aids with triple monitor support 8 Usbs & 5 SATA ports along with M.2 (if you go that route):  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157761

The I7-7800 which uses the newer socket type: LGA 2066. Due to the newer type, there are smaller selection of boards and boards are at higher price but with some better benefits like newer technology advantages and tons of fluff features: So I will be going with this motherboard: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157778

Lastly, The ram which I need to ask first... Do you want to overclock your memory and how much memory you want? (These choices may affect if I change Mobo for the Ryzen 7)

Both CPUs are top of the line and newest toy out. Both Mobos are ATX size.

Prices should be similiar in NZ. I've personally used Corsair and Gigabyte for 5-6 years and have never had an issue. Very reliable.
The 1155 socket has been discontinued so I've linked parts using the 1151 socket.

Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
$269 AUD

Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black
$219 AUD

Intel Core i7 7700K
$449 AUD

Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-Gaming K5 Motherboard
$255 AUD

Gigabyte GA-Z270MX-GAMING 5 Motherboard
$219 AUD

Gigabyte H270-Gaming 3 Motherboard
$179 AUD

11 hours ago, PeriodPuddle said:

Currently have:
I7 2600k, 16GB DDR3.
Mobo is some MSi thing

I have this!  Only 8GB, but ive never seen it maxed when playing GTAV.  

Built it 4 years ago, has treated me well.  Bought a Zotac 1070 GTX 8 GB for it about 6 months ago.  This rig has treated me well.  MSI 67A-G43-b3 board.  It has only 6GB/s on the sata and has DDR3, so yeah I need a new board.

Great info Inferno and Famine thanks for that.  What CPU would you suggest for streaming?

I’m waiting for the 8700k to come out so I can make my PC look like bread and butter with my 1080Ti, but I’m willing to sell my i7 6700k (never OC’d or tampered with) for around $250. You’ll be forced to get a LGA1151 mobo and DDR4 RAM, but I ended up finding some damn good deals when I upgraded to Intel a year ago ($100 gigabyte mobo, 2 card slots, 4 RAM, and $60 for 16gb DDR4 2133mhz)

@bndzor Yea I've been holding out for like 6 years for price drops lol, perhaps this will be the last one I wait for and then empty the bank.....

@Inferno thanks mate that helps alot.
I would like to go for a newer Gen CPU and get off the 1155 socket (Did I get this right?) I am certain my Noctua cooler will fit the 1151 (This is a newer socket right?)
I would love to go back to AMD as my R9 390x would love some like minded friends I will def look into the Ryzen 7.

@ppantzz dude my CPU runs at 100% for GTA, but I am running it in 4k.....  My setup runs all games but with a 4k Monitor i'm not getting the most I can get anymore, I can run anything in 1080 (PUBG is bare minimum though) just want to push games comfortably now aswell as stream.

Could I upgrade to a high end new Gen i5 and still get a very good performance boost?

My RAM pref would be 16GB DDR4, but if 8GB DDR4 is still a LOT better than 16GB DDR3 I can settle for that too.
I was aiming for around $6-$700 upgrade. NZD.
I see that some DDR4 Ram runs at like 3000+mhz??! This is already double what my current Ram runs at, so anything around that speed would be major.
Plus are people not running 4 sticks anymore? That use to be the jam....

@Blitzer Yo when can have a chat when you free man, I love talking tech so nutting out ideas would be awesome.

@That One Guy Hey man i'd almost buy that for my second PC I have set up, I have a bunch of parts I need to sell and want to upgrade the 2nd PC at some stage as a streaming PC.
I have a small wishlist of peripherals as well that I will get to, one of those being an elgato capture card and a stream deck.

@Famine Yes, I have had the i7 7700k referred multiple times, I think there is also an i5 version that is also as good?

You guys are legends, I have some homework to do now. Thank you

19 minutes ago, PeriodPuddle said:

I think there is also an i5 version that is also as good?

The i5 and i7 show little to no performance difference when it comes to gaming, but i7 gives you that future proof capability that the i5 isn't as good with.

CPU stuff:

Yeah, if you stream and play at the same time that poor 2600k is sure to struggle. Did you overclock it to 4.5 or something? If not, that might be a good place to start. Performance per clock didn't make any leaps forward since then, though. So the only real improvement you'll get will be more cores and threads. I'm serious, here. At the same clocks, a latest gen intel i7 processor is 20% faster at most - and they only overclock like 10% further, too.

In that vein and for best streaming performance, you'll want a Ryzen 7 1700/1700X/1800X and overclock a fair bit, to somewhere between 3.8 and 4.0 GHz. Those are all the same chip, except the higher ones are better binned and thus slightly more likely to reach better speeds - more expensive too, though.

Don't even waste a thought on an i5. 4 Threads are quite often held busy by current games, leaving no breathing room for stream video encoding on the fly.

If you can wait at all, coffee lake might shake things up a fair bit. Coming soon(tm).

Don't get an Ivy Bridge (3XXX series) CPU. They have tooth paste instead of solder between IHS and die and thus have much worse thermal properties. They're not much faster clock per clock, either. Your CPU, if overclocked, should match any Ivy Bridge chip.

RAM stuff:

Don't be fooled by the big numbers on DDR-4. Games are pretty much never starved in memory bandwidth, and so switching to DDR-4 won't make those any faster. The thing that matters is latency, and that has remained the same pretty much since DDR-2. Oh and capacity matters, too, of course. Don't go below 16GB, it's <current year> after all.

Running 4 sticks on a dual channel memory controller stresses it more than running 2 sticks - meaning you'll lose stability at higher clocks. This is why you should only run as many modules as you have memory channels, unless you absolutely need the capacity.

Mobo:

I personally use an Asus Prime X370 Pro, because it has decent VRMs but didn't cost an arm AND a leg. Also, it has better voltage control options than most (if not all) B350 boards. Can recommend if you go with Ryzen.

Hmm the Ryzen build is looking very good.
I'm guessing though I wont fit the after market cooler i have on my 1155 socket on it. 

Currently my CPU is lightly clocked so i'm not sure how it handles 4k GTA plus streaming, plus the hundred other tabs I have open but it does it..... just. lol. I think it has a 4ghz turbo mode OC or something atm.
I'm a bit scrared to try OC to 4.5 even with the cooler I have, as is the case gets pretty heated and the small room i'm in get's hot AF too.
TBH my CPU and case could probably do with a clean out and re doing the paste as it's been a while.

2 hours ago, PeriodPuddle said:

@Inferno thanks mate that helps alot.
I would like to go for a newer Gen CPU and get off the 1155 socket (Did I get this right?) I am certain my Noctua cooler will fit the 1151 (This is a newer socket right?)
I would love to go back to AMD as my R9 390x would love some like minded friends I will def look into the Ryzen 7.

It all depends on when you want to upgrade... Like @bndzor said: 

10 hours ago, bndzor said:

When it comes to cpu upgrades, just wait, the i9s will drop prices on i7s eventually

So the last option is to wait for the I9s which will be absolutely the best hardware but at a higher price... At the same time, the prices of the I7 & I5 will drop when that does happen. The newer socket type is LGA 2066, Which is what the  I7-7800x uses.

So for some motherboards to get that ram speed you mention is to be overclocked. for both boards unclocked is DDR4 2666 and 2667. That AMD board I linked doesn't support overclocking ram (64 GB ram max) (Which i would have to look for another) but the Intel does which goes all the way beyond DDR4 4400+ which depends on the processor type and that board support 128 GB of ram. Most you need is 16 GB.

My computer is using two sticks of 8 GB DDR 2400. Which I have never run into a RAM problem.

To give more prespective. I'm running a slightly OC i7 6700k, 16gigs of DDR4 at 2400mz, a single 1080 running on its factory OC mode, all games on a SSD and a evo 212 air cooler for the CPU. Temps never go above 70 on the CPU and never above 80 on the GPU. 

If you plan on streaming I will say now that you will hate yourself if you buy a i5. with my set up i can play any game I currently own on ultra and have over 100FPS. Only exception is GTA RP which sits me anywhere from 60-110FPS depending if I'm streaming at the same time or not. I also forgot to mention the MOBO is just a simple ASROCK pro 4s gaming

@Inferno Yea I was hoping to upgrade around Christmas time.  Will keep an eye out for I9 but seems they've already been released?
So looking to upgrade at Christmas might be perfect?

If I stay with Intel I think i'll stay with the I7 otherwise the Ryzen  looks good.

Mobo's I don't want anything too flash really but was really hoping to fit my cooler on but if moving to the new 2066 socket i'm going to assume that wont be possible. I'll figure this out when I know the exact model I have.

Ok i'm not going to worry too much about Ram speed just as long as mobo and ram are compatible, 2 sticks of 8 DDR4 anywhere around the 2000mhz mark is still better than I currently have.

Will probably look at a 250SSD to top things off too.
The hardest part of all this will be mobo, 

If you find your exact cooler model, there's still a chance that they sell a mounting kit for it for AM4.

If you want to stream and play at the same time, AMD Ryzen is definitely the right choice for now. Coffee Lake coming soon(tm) might change that, but we'll see. Intel's i9 CPUs are all on their "XXXXXXtreme" platform, where a mainboard alone costs over 300 bucks.

While I did say that RAM didn't become any better for gaming since DDR-2 since bandwidth is basically wasted, that doesn't mean there's no difference between RAM kits.

If you do opt for Ryzen, you should probably get some Samsung B-Die based Ram, since they offer greatest compatibility. Like the G-Skill Tridentz 3200 CL14.And make sure to give your future Motherboard's memory QVL a good look. Ryzen currently tops out at ~3200, so any speed significantly above that is wasted, but lower CL (command latency) helps a lot in gaming still.

For gaming, the true latency matters a good bit. You'll get a feel for it if you divide command latency by clockspeed, in this case 14/3200 = 0.004375. Don't get anything worse (higher) than 0.005.

I've built and helped build on the Asus Prime X370 Pro and the Prime B350 Plus. Both are good boards to build with, can't speak for any others.

If you get an SSD AND a new mainboard, go get an M.2 NVME SSD, preferrably from the Samsung 960 series. They're faster and easier to install. Think about capacity some more, btw. Nowadays, most AAA games are between 50 and 100 GB, meaning you'll only be able to squeeze 2 games and your OS onto the SSD at 256GB. I know I'm struggling with my old 256GB SSD.

Lastly, RAM and SSDs and GPUs are way too expensive right now, so this is the worst time for a build, but if it's needed right now that can't be helped, heh. Not gonna change for another couple of months, anyways.

I didn't read every single thread here, so maybe I'm repeating others.  But an i5 usually handles games a tiny bit better because a lot of games are single thread processes.  Games that use multi-threading is handled much better on an i7.  i7 processors are built for multi-tasking, which a lot of games nowadays utilize multi-threading and the difference of i5 and i7 single thread is minuscule.

If you want to use DDR 4 memory, then go with the i7 7700k since you'll have to upgrade your MB and use the DDR 4 on those boards.  As far as holding out, it's not worth it really.  PC tech advances so quick, no matter what you buy is old tech in 6 months.  But, game devs and game engines take a bit to catch up to the latest and greatest in a lot of cases.  I was an AMD guy for about 10 years straight.  They are great multi-taskers, but not as good for the power you'll want in gaming.  Maybe the newest AMD chips are different, I never looked into them, but if you build the a rig with the latest i7 and DDR4, you probably wouldn't have to upgrade the thing for 5+ years.  You'll upgrade your GPU before a CPU in this case since most games utilize GPU power over CPU power in most cases.  

If you have a Micro Center around you, shop them.  They're usually cheaper than anywhere else and you can walk in and leave with it.  They deliver as well, so check them out - http://www.microcenter.com  Warning:  this place has everything you could ever want and you'll want to sell your car to buy everything in the store.  Example, you can walk in there and buy something like a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog off the shelf.  I've never seen stuff like that for sale in a brick and mortar store.  This place was like the old CompUSA stores, but 100x better.  You can walk in there and pick up a cheap $10 USB keyboard, or the latest $300 gaming keyboard.

On 10/2/2017 at 7:44 PM, PeriodPuddle said:

I need suggestions for a decent upgrade that isn't going to cost the world but still provide a decent boost.

I am only wanting to upgrade CPU, MOBO & RAM.

Currently have:
I7 2600k, 16GB DDR3.
Mobo is some MSi thing, not really important what this can and can't do tbh as long as it fits in my med/large case.

I also have a massive Noctua cooler, similar to the NH-D15/14, not at home at the moment so can't be exact.
Obviously this fits the LGA- 1155 socket? (Is this the correct socket for 17 2600k?)

I'm more of an AMD build person and this was my first Intel build back in the day so i'm a little rusty.

Obviously I want to go DDR4 RAM, but having trouble with CPU and MOBO.  

Any help or discussion would be fantastic. Chur

I'll uh.. I'll buy that i7 off of you when/if you do upgrade. My i5 2500k is showing it's age and I can't afford anything newer right now. 

• About us

Evol PC Gaming is a PC gaming community, well known for our State of Emergency GTA V RP server.  We are a community of players from all around the world and that also play pretty much whatever game others are down for.  

Advanced Simulation Products is a part of EPCG.  A.S.P. focuses on making game controllers for PC simulation games, specifically for different game genres.  You can customize your box by adding features such as a CB mic, back lighting, button/switch labeling, purchase different labeled faces to swap out for different games. Visit AdvancedSimulationProducts.com for more info.

Get in touch

Follow us

Twitter Feed

facebook feed

Important Information

Are you here to play on our SoE server? You MUST read our Guidelines and learn the basics before joining the server. Failure to do so will probably lead to you being kicked and/or banned from our servers. By clicking accept, you are stating that you have read the guidelines. Thank you and enjoy!